I absolutely love banana bread! It’s the perfect breakfast, snack and dessert bread, especially when the inside is fluffy and moist and the outside is nice and crunchy! The best thing about banana bread is it’s actually really easy to make. This is my recipe for making my carmelized banana bread with a streusel topping and I thought I would share it with you!
I’m the only one who eatsbananas cause Dylan only likes them certain ways (usually sweetened). I can never eat them fast enough before they start to go bad, so I freeze a couple every time I buy bananas, frozen ones are my favorite to use for bread. I just take them out and set them on the stove top while the oven heats up so they thaw out a little and I can actually mash them. In my opinion, when I use frozen bananas the bread comes out even more moist, which is always a plus. This recipe is awesome because it can be a snack or dessert (add some butter on it and it’s even better) so let’s get started!
Ingredients For the Bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 4 ripe or frozen bananas, mashed with a fork
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the streusel topping:
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter , slightly softened and cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- The streusel topping. Add the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and mix until combined. Cut in the butter using your fingers or a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. With a wooden spoon, stir in the mashed bananas, milk and vanilla. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients. Once the flour is incorporated, and STOP. You don;t want to over stir. The batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the batter. Bake the bread for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool 10-15 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Remove the bread from the pan and continue to cool on the wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
P.S. in the video, I doubled the recipe since I was making a some for a lot of people. I wrote everything there as it should be. Also, I didn’t add the streusel topping to this batch, but I promise, it’s the best part of the bread! let me know in the comments your favorite recipe or treat!